Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
A single chicken breast is a simple go-to for college students. We’d like to suggest 5 tips for making it a special when cooking in your apartment home.
1. Buy a food thermometer and give it a rest.
Chicken needs to be cooked to a minimum of 165 degrees Fahrenheit- and the best way to know if it is safe is to check it with a meat thermometer. Insert it into the thickest part of the breast, if it is bone-in, avoid touching any bones. Once it has reached the right temp, take it out, cover it with foil and let it rest for 5 minutes before you slice!
2. Season before cooking.
A generous sprinkle of salt and pepper before cooking may be all you need. But don’t be afraid to try a new spice blend or marinade. This one we’ll be trying this week to serve with our favorite pasta:
3. Try roasting!
For the best flavor try roasting a bone-in chicken breast in the oven. Toss in a few vegetables tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper for a one-pan meal. Potatoes, garlic, and onions is our suggest starter.
4. Experiment with herbs, acid and heat.
It’s the easiest way to impress your friends with your cooking. In college you should learn your favorite combos, so don’t be afraid to experiment. Here are some of our favorites to add when you are done cooking:
- Mexican Chicken: Cilantro + Lime + Chili Pepper
- Mediterranean Chicken: Basil + Balsamic Vinegar + Red Pepper Flakes
- French Chicken: Thyme + Lemon + Black Pepper
- Thai Chicken: Cilantro + Lime + Sweet Chili Sauce
5. Meal Prep it!
If you are short on time, place 5-6 on a sheet tray and bake it in the oven. Cool it down, shred it, and store it in the fridge for a quick week night meal. Here are some ideas:
- Place it in a tortilla for a quick wrap. Have you tried our local Chiz’s Ranch? Please do.
- Add it to chicken stock for a quick soup when you are missing home.
- If you love peanut sauce like we do, wrap the chicken lettuce with shredded carrots and cucumber and dip!
- Top it with your favorite marinara and melt a little mozzarella on top. Pasta optional.